You’ve made the decision to become a SkillsUSA advisor. You are starting on a journey that is bound to offer many rewards for you and your students. There are a few basic steps to follow when starting a new chapter.
Checklist for New Chapters – here are the basic steps to follow to start a new chapter:
- Connect with our Customer Care Team so that they can assist in getting your new chapter started. Reach out toll free at 844-875-4557 or email@example.com. Team members will be able to send you a New Chapter Kit and ensure that all of your questions are answered.
- Meet with your school administrator to request permission to start a new program and to gain support for the SkillsUSA chapter
- Contact your SkillsUSA Texas Membership Specialist at 800-444-2297 ext 2, to find out about any upcoming activities or deadlines. If you are starting a new chapter, complete an application for charter.
- Identify one or more possible SkillsUSA leaders (technical instructors, a career counselor or another interested person within the school) to help with the new chapter.
- Gain support from other faculty members if you plan to involve students from other training programs.
- NEW process starting in October 2023: Integrating a school address verification tool into the membership website by leveraging the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) government school listing database. NCES is the primary statistical agency of the U.S. Department of Education and is located within the U.S. Department of Education’s Institute of Education Sciences (IES) that collects, analyzes, and publishes statistics on education and public school district finance information in the United States. Schools whose addresses which were not automatically verified will receive a prompt to participate in the verification process when their first advisor logs into the school’s account. A list of schools sourced from the NCES database will be presented, and the advisor will be asked to select the most appropriate match for their school. Once a selection is made the school will be marked as verified in our system. Please note that the address and school name in the registration website will not be updated to match the NCES listing but will only be marked as verified within our system. Advisors who are unable to verify can click the “No Match” button, and our Customer Care team will step in to help with the verification process. The advisor can proceed with the registration process, but the next time they log in, they will be prompted again until Customer Care (844-875-4557) is able to assist them.
Forming a New Chapter
New Chapter Resources
Use the links below to find recourse to help you get started:
- Parent Information
- Build a Successful Chapter
- Chapter Excellence Program
- Sample SkillsUSA Calendar
- National New Chapter Resources
- SkillsUSA Educational Resources Store
**Reminder: You must have a minimum of 7 registered and paid student members for each Chapter Charter application. Many schools accomplish this by combining program areas into one Texas chapter. If your campus has more than one chapter, each chapter must have a minimum of 7 members and an advisor. If your school is not able to fulfill this obligation, we will look at your situation and consider making adjustments. SkillsUSA Texas works to offer quality competitions for all students. To accomplish this we have guidelines that may be found in the Texas Regulations.
Join our email list to receive updated information, newsletters, and more.
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact